Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Natto Experience Turned Experiment


Yesterday night, Scott and I did our routine grocery shop at the Super Tamade supermarket. Although we've become very accustomed to grocery shopping in Japan, it is still a much crazier/trippy experience than in Canada. I should have made of video of the first time we walked into one. The combination weird food, no English, bright lights/colours and tacky displays, and crazy store clerks yelling "Suuuuuuuppppper Tamade, Suuuuuuuuuuper Tammmmmade" were all just a little too much to handle for fresh-off-the-plane gaijin. Located only a five minute bike ride away, the shop's neon lights and loudspeakers are sure to draw in any passer-by. While frantically running around the supermarket, I passed by a display of natto. For those of you who have never heard of natto (and you should be thankful you haven't), it's considered one of the most healthy foods in Japan, if not the world.

If I could compare natto's appearance to anything, it would be animal turds but it's actually fermented soybean paste and is not only gross to look at, but is also sticky and emits a strong cheese-like odour. It's unfortunate that I can't share the smell of natto over the internet because you really haven't experienced natto until you've smelled it! People often say natto is an acquired taste and many of my students warned me that foreigners steer clear of it. I figured, I’m leaving Japan in a month and I’m probably never going to have the opportunity to taste it again—even if it is gross, so I picked up a pack and dropped it into my basket. Natto is typically sold in boxes which contain two small polystyrene containers. Each individual container also includes a small packet of tsuyu sauce (similar to soy sauce) and karashi (strong, flavourful mustard) that you’re supposed to mix in with the beans. I bought one box for only 48 yen!

The natto was sitting in the fridge all day today. Every time I opened the fridge, I looked at it, picked it up, smelled it, then chickened out before placing it back in the fridge. Tonight for dinner, I finally opened it, almost puked from the putrid smell, took a bite, then put it back in the fridge. Then, I decided eating it plain was rather gutsy for a natto-newbie, so I cooked some rice and mixed it with that. It was just barely bearable, but I’m proud to say I did it! It may be healthy, but wow, there is nothing tasty or enjoyable about it (for now, at least). Maybe I’ll develop an odd liking for it just before I leave...

My motivation for eating natto is not only because I consider it one of those things that must be done before leaving, but also because there are numerous health benefits. It contains a compound called pyrazine, which can reduce the likelihood of blood clotting, heart attacks, and strokes. Natto is also extremely rich in Vitamin K, which has been shown to prevent osteoporosis and Vitamin PPQ, which promotes the development of healthy skin tissues. It also has a plethora of other benefits: it’s rich in protein, prevents obesity, ageing, and baldness, and even lowers cholesterol.

Although natto is still a part of the traditional Japanese diet, it doesn’t mean it’s consumed by everyone (especially the younger generations). Whenever I see people purchasing it at the grocery store, it’s never someone from my generation—it’s always a mother or grandmother. I guess that’s why Japan has one of the highest life expectancy rates. I guess it’s true what they say, “You are what you eat.” I’ve decided I’m going to eat one serving of natto for the remaining month here and see how it goes.

Wish me luck—I sure will need it!

xoxo
Jo

No comments: